[Ardour-Users] Ardour and Hydrogen (not) syncing

Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Tue Dec 4 12:50:55 PST 2018

On 03.12.2018 17:53, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

>> The bass figure is two bars long, so it made sense (to me) to have
>> Hydrogen set to size 16 / resolution 16. When played together one loop
>> and one pattern at a time, they sounded in sync...
>>

> What BPM do you set in hydrogen? I don't think hydrogen has the notion
> of meters different than crotchet at the denominator (i.e. x/4).
> So if in Ardour you set the meter to 8/8 and the tempo at 80 BPM you
> probably need to set the tempo in hydrogen to 160 BPM in hydrogen to get
> a perfect sync (if I understand correctly your set-up).

Thanks for chiming in!

'Unfortunately' Hydrogen respects Jack and Ardours tempo of 80 bpm, if I
change it manually to 160 it reverts back to 80 as soon as I start playback.

It turns out if I tell Ardour the song is 4/4 and create new patterns in
Hydrogen 'Size 8' and 'Resolution whatever' the programs are counting
bars the same way.

Hydrogen also manages to count correctly if time signature is set to
8/4, so it seems you are spot on that Hydrogen NEED the crotchet to
function properly.

While I can live with it for now, from Hydrogen it seems I can't get no
satisfaction...

Best regards,
Alf