[Ardour-Users] External sync from another DAW: Ardour song pointer should follow ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Aug 31 15:19:37 PDT 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:35:54 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> I am entirely unclear on how you are trying to or intend to sync the
> two DAWs ... you're describing entirely different things, it seems.
> What specifically do you have in mind?

At the high level it consists of being able to play a synth plugin in
Ardour (actually, Mixbus32C v5 :) while recording its output in
Bitwig. This works, see details below.

Additionally if both DAWs would be synchronized complete with SPP, then
it would also be able to record the synth's MIDI data in MB while
recording its audio output in Bitwig.

Why am I doing this ?  Because the plugin works nicely in MB and
not in Bitwig.  It's possible to run it in Ardour and record the audio
in Bitwig, but adding sync and MIDI recording in MB would allow the
editing of the performance.

What do I do to sync them ?  The following.  This is in Linux Mint 18
which boots in such a way that enables Bitwig to immediately use MIDI.
This means that the first in being able to use a MIDI controller in
MB is to do:

% a2j_control ehw start

Then Bitwig and Ardour are started.  In Ardour (Mixbus32C v5) I click
on the Int./Jack button and it lights up green and shows
"Jack".  I press Play in Bitwig and both Bitwig and MB are started.  I
press Stop in Bitwig and both DAWs are stopped.  Then I press Play
again in Bitwig and both DAW start rolling but, while Bitwig restarted
at 0, MD continues from where it has stopped.