[Ardour-Users] USB C Guitar Interface Recommendations?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 24 10:22:33 PDT 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 12:03:04 -0400, Martin Lynch wrote:
>appreciate the feedback on the RME HDSPe AIO, Ralf, but looks to me
>like that's a PCI card

That's a misunderstanding. I already owned the RME PCIe card and when I
bought the USB audio interface, I had no money to buy a RME USB audio
interface. Today I would test a RME Babyface Pro and if it should work
with my iPad, too (with Linux it's known to work), I likely would buy
it, instead of the Focusrite Scarlett. I don't know if the missing "Word
Clock" could be an issue, when using ADAT. If I use ADAT with the
Focusrite, I sync via WC, but with the RME PCIe card sync via ADAT
instead of WC works, too.

Latency could be an issue. A few days ago I recorded guitar _without_
using my mixing console to get latency free monitoring. The guitar was
connected to a V-Amp, which has around 5 ms latency, so this latency
was added to the latency caused by the audio interface's round trip
latency. The result is good enough for the experimental recordings I'm
doing at the moment, but the timing of my guitar recordings isn't good.
Now and then I keep time accurately, but way too often the timing is
awful. Résumé: Keep in mind that you might use additional digital gear
and that you could suffer from additional latency, you need to add to
the audio interface's round trip latency.