[Ardour-Users] USB C Guitar Interface Recommendations?

Seablade - seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:05:16 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> Regarding the Wiki, it's possible to install Linux.

Not the same thing as what the OP was likely referencing with 'Linux is
coming...' which most people are currently looking at Crostini on Chrome
OS.  Yes it is possible to dual boot Linux I believe (In fact I am typing
this on a Chromebook Pixel running Ubuntu) but that is not the same as the
Linux App support with Crostini which is utilizing a VM and Docker to run
Linux apps, not necessarily natively, but in a way that appears native to
ChromeOS.  The end result being that you can run Ardour for instance on
ChromeOS supposedly, but with no sound support it is rather pointless.

I can't comment on the Pixelbook's USB. When buying an USB audio
> interface for an iPad, I experienced that it has got an USB current
> limitation, so some audio devices only work with an USB hub. First I
> tested an Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL, apart from other issues an USB hub
> was needed. The Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen works without issues,
> no USB hub is needed. It has got two Hi-Z inputs. I don't know if the
> Hi-Z inputs are good, since I use a V-Amp or GR-55 for modeling, so I
> use line inputs only.

Big difference between Pixelbook with USB-C which can deliver more power
than USB2 standard calls for as it supports USB3 and a tablet that only
barely supports USB to start with:)  I wouldn't worry about power delivery
on the pixelbook, and in fact IIRC many USB class compliant interfaces will
just work on ChromeOS so could be easily tested.

                 Seablade