[Ardour-Users] "Extract LTC from audio and align video" menu option missing from "Transcode/Import Video file" popup

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sat Apr 21 19:54:58 PDT 2018

On Fri, April 20, 2018 11:49 am, robertlazarski wrote:
> The phone problem with Ardour was indeed because it was a variable rate
> issue. I was able to fix it with this command. And then Ardour was fine
> with it.

That's good to know.  Did we coincidentally find that near the same time,
or did my noticing the original was variable frame rate prompt some
experiments to check it out?

>  The Tentacle Sync LTC generator also works fine and I'm really happy
with it.

Seems like a cool little device, I was not previously familiar with it.

> To be clear my priority is good audio and then whatever video
> that comes with it is ok for me.

That is what the 8 channel Zoom audio recorder is for, right?  I assumed
you were using a traditional arrangement where you only needed the camera
to record timecode, all the main audio would go to the multichannel
recorder, so camera audio quality wasn't really a consideration.

> Best I can tell the typical workflow using Ardour for
> multiple cameras, has a video software editing step in between recording
> and Ardour.

Right, assumes a traditional video based work flow where the video editing
happens first, then the audio has to match up to the edited video.

> However I googled and I couldn't find a Linux based UI that can read LTC -
> besides XJadeo but for multiple videos that's not the right tool?

Open source video editing on Linux is still pretty weak.  Cinelerra is the
closest to something designed for a professional or semi-pro work flow.
Cinelerra is confusing because there are three separate versions
maintained simultaneously, might take some time to figure out which fork
best fits what you want.
Lightworks might be a good bet, it is no cost for the basic version, not
Free Software, no source provided, no modifications, have to buy up to
more features if you need them.  But it is high quality commercially
supported video editing software for linux.
Blender has a video editor, it is most known as animation software but
supposedly the editor is pretty decent as well.

--
Chris Caudle