[Ardour-Users] Presonus StudioLive Ar16

Brett Clark bclark4444 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:08:26 PDT 2017

Does anyone have experience, or know someone who has, with using the
Presonus StudioLive AR16 on Linux  (Fedora 26) w/Ardour (whatever the
latest release was)?

Here's where this question stems from:
1) I have a Presonus vsl1818, which sounds great, but since im on linux i
cannot utilize the zero-latency builtin mixer.  The latency is driving me
bonkers.  If i scale down jack to 64 bit samples then the latency is
bearable but i end up with several audible xruns while recording.

2) Using a patchbay i split the input signals and sent one to the vsl1818
and the other to a Mackie mixer for monitoring.  Shazam!  No more latency
but now im completely maxed out on the 1818 because there's only 8
line-level inputs and im using every one of them.

My options seem to be:
 A)  get another vsl1818 and link them together to get 16 audio channels

 B)  get a StudioLive AR16 which has usb output of all 16 channels on the
mixer and sell my 1818vsl (and probably my Mackie too).

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
--Brett