[Ardour-Users] Newbie Question: Using 2. Soundcard for monitoring

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Mar 12 11:57:21 PDT 2017

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:24:59 +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
>Skype (one of the few applications that uses the Pulse API directly

Off-topic:

Hi,

at least for desktop usage there's an alternative to pulseaudio. This
might not work with recording software.

For most audio production machines simply not installing pulseaudio IMO
is the best solution to avoid any pulseaudio related issue. I never
installed pulseaudio. Just in case I installed an empty dummy package
to fulfil potential hard dependencies.

However, by default Firefox 52.0 from upstream doesn't enable ALSA
anymore and there are rumours that Firefox 54 won't work with ALSA at
all.

Instead of pulseaudio https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse/releases should
work for skype. I tested Firefox 52.0 with apulse 0.1.7_13_gf445ae7 and
it worked without issues, without a special ALSA configuration. After
that test I anyway decided to compile Firefox 52.0 with
"--enable-alsa" ;).

Regards,
Ralf