[Ardour-Users] Peak levels on master bus vs single track

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Mar 2 14:22:50 PST 2017

On 03/02/2017 09:47 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 21:39:12 +0100
> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> You really want a limiter on the master-bus (not on individual tracks)
>> As far as free software goes, I'd use swh's fast-lookahead-limiter.
>
> Hmm. Not always. I was once sent a track by a friend that had horrendous
> ducking of the vocal due to the percussion track triggering the limiter.

good point. It's not a general recommendation, but probably the correct
one in the case that Alf mentioned.

Yet if a percussion track can duck vocals due to a limiter on the
master-bus, that percussions must have been well above the set limit
(and actually pump the whole mix, not only vocals).

ciao,
robin