[Ardour-Users] Very basic question (amplify only the left channel)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jul 15 19:06:00 PDT 2017

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 03:16:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:39:02 -0300, Alexdefaria wrote:
>>The pan trick will work, although you will have to compensate it
>>giving a volume boost.
> Maybe after "balancing" increasing or decreasing the volume is
> required.

You might be surprised about this comment. We neither know the kind of
microphone, nor the position to whatever sound source.

What was the used directional characteristic for the left and the right
channel? A stereo microphone might allow to adjust the left and right
channel's directional characteristic individual. The signal might
interact with additional recorded tracks, or when listening to the mono
sum even the balance of just the mic could matter. What was too silent
for one channel? Direct sound and/or ambient sound? It might be
possible that balance won't help at all. The direct sound might become
balanced, but the ambient sound might become unbalanced.

Even using individual parametric EQs for the left and right channel
might do a better job, than using the balance control.

;)