[Ardour-Users] Korg nanoKONTROL2

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jan 30 04:40:01 PST 2017

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> I'd like to fix the nanoKontrol issues, and doing so won't be very
> hard.  But it will also be extremely inefficient unless I can be in
> realtime communication with someone who (a) has a nanoKontrol (b) can
> build ardour from source.

Well, that would sort-of make it desirable that one can (in the long
haul) make it in some general-purpose manner where the actual work does
not require rebuilding Ardour?

Steps in that direction would be
a) give Midi device settings a possibility to dump a sysex file on
startup.  That would make it possible to configure a device for Ardour's
use.
b) give some actual possibilities to configure Midi messages for mcp
devices (Mackie control devices).  It would appear that the current XML
files for those devices just contain a list of capabilities.
c) allow to configure sent-back control sequences when triggering Ardour
functions (rather than just controls).
d) document Midi configuration?  The current documentation does not
contain any information about the configuration of Midi.  But
archive.org shows that this has been removed only about a year ago.
Why?

All of those are not specific to the nanoKONTROL but would purportedly
useful for other devices as well.

At any rate, being able to work on this without recompilation would
probably draw a few more contributors interested in making their own
devices work without becoming a full-fledged developer.

--
David Kastrup