[Ardour-Users] Moon on a stick please :)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Jan 14 14:56:21 PST 2017

On 01/14/2017 07:59 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> Yesterday I used Ardour's audio export for the first time on a complex Yoshimi
> project. It went very smoothly (and fast) but the last reverb tail was
> truncated. I eventually had the bright idea of extending the end point -
> although I was surprised at how far I had to extend it.

Glad you figured it out.

> Does Ardour have any way to monitor the actual output level before stopping an
> export- something I may have not noticed?

You could move the session-end backwards a lot and use the "Trim silence
at end" export setting in   Export > Format > Edit

Now for the bad news: Silence-trim currently defaults to /complete/
silence (-inf dB) and there's no GUI to configure this, yet. Still, you
can manually set it: quit ardour, edit ~/.config/ardour5/config

   <Option name="export-silence-threshold" value="-inf"/>

change "-inf" to e.g. "-60"  (dBFS) -- the value depends on the reverb,
and as you pointed out, some have a surprisingly long tail.

> If not, is there any chance something like this could be implemented?

Would you only expect this for export? How about some generic "jump to
next position where master-out is < N dBFS for at least M seconds" [and
add a marker there].

too geeky? Well, it's technically more complex, too. Just thinking out
loud. In general however I think some semi-automated solution is
preferable: Assist the user but allow to override it.

2c,
robin