[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Dec 22 09:27:25 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/22/2017 10:27 AM, Gordonjcp wrote:
> >
> >> maybe start here: https://youtu.be/kkMHprDW8PU?t=39000s
> >>
> >> I'm willing to bet that you can listen to this for at least 20min
> >> without being bored :)
> > That's not to my taste.  I can't listen to that seasicky
> > kick-drum-pumping-pad stuff.
> >

> I suggest you start by listening to some Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Yes,
> Walter Carlos, Jan Hammer, and Trumvirat.

​I would absolutely suggest that you do not start with any of these artists
:)

These artists all have their particular mastery of synths, but they play in
a very particular style that puts the emphasis on "virtuosity" and (with
the general exception of wendy carlos) play fairly typical keyboard styles
in the context of "prog rock".

A broad introduction to the sonic capabilities of analog synths needs to go
significantly beyond this particular "synth+keyboard+virtuosic-performer"
style.​ It also may mean dropping any non-analog-synth context (though this
may be jarring for some), and it may mean avoiding virtuosic performers,
who despite their skills, sometimes play "too much" if the goal is to
appreciate what the machine rather than the performer can do.