[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sun Dec 17 13:59:13 PST 2017

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 21:35:31 +0000
Gordonjcp <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:

>There's nothing magic about it.  It's a circuit, it either works or it
>doesn't.  Whether the opamps are SMD or through-hole does not affect the
>sound.  Using modern metal film resistors instead of old-fashioned
>carbon comp does not affect the sound.

Who's talking about opamps? Even the venerable 741 has a couple of dozen
transistors inside when the original analog synths would use a single
transistor i.e. pull but no push.

As for resistors. Modern ones are 2% tolerance as standard. When I started in
the industry they were 20% - so just the fact you never got the same value
would change the characterstics. Also even the very best carbons had nowhere
near the noise floor of metal ones.

Ever wondered why some of the big carbons have a flat on one side?
It's a legacy from the days when people picked a body/tip marked on out of a
box. Measured it to get one near but lower than the wanted value then filed the
flat to get what was wanted and varnished it then wrote the number on it.

Let's also not forget the 'interesting' characteristics of wax impregnated and
oil filled capacitors - all of which I've seen in production equipment.

OK, that's my 2d (old money see)

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.