[Ardour-Users] New tube amps

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Mon Dec 25 14:25:23 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 09:50:49PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 21:34:58 +0000
> Gordonjcp <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 11:31:39AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> >>
> >> I mean, "staggering number of analog components that effectively
> >> reproduce the dynamic character of a traditional tube amp"?  The dynamic
> >> character of a traditional tube amp comes about by a staggeringly
> >> _small_ number of components.  A typical full-scale tube amp has fewer
> >
> >... which you can accurately mimic with about a dozen assorted resistors
> >and diodes, and an opamp, to the point that no-one can tell the
> >difference.
> >

> I'd like to see a schematic of such a design... as I'm sure a great many other
> people would. You seem to be an expert on the matter so perhaps you could knock
> one up. Seeing as it's only a dozen or so components it shouldn't take long.

http://gjcp.net/solidstatevalve.jpg

Here you go.  Quick sketch, really looks for about a +12/-12 supply rail
and all diodes are 1N4148, or whatever small-signal silicon you have
knocking about.

Adjust the gain and offset to suit - more offset will make it more
assymetric and give you a more "secondish" tone but be careful, too much
sounds harsh and unpleasant.

You'll want suitable equalisation before and after the circuit because
frankly anything above the 7th harmonic is going to be dissonant.
You'll also want a very powerful and clean power amp that can drive a
good-quality speaker in a cabinet suitable for the instrument you're
playing - I recommend either a 12" or a pair of 10" speakers in an
open-backed box for a guitar.  If you're close-miking, stuff a couple of
pillows in the back to bring the bass up a bit.

--
Gordonjcp