[Ardour-Users] Analog synths (was: Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 167, Issue 13)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Dec 25 06:27:44 PST 2017

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 21:05:44 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> when you get to the end of the video, consider that the sound from
> brushing the "djembe head" isn't a sample, but a simple consequence
> of the model embodied inside the system.

> consider also, sadly, that this comes this time *NINE YEARS AGO* and
> we still do not have actual systems that are can do this in any
> immediately obvious way.

You mean just like the Wavedrum ?  I have one right here by my side and
I play some from time to time.  Fun.  It's fun brushing the fingers to
produce sounds, or using the nails finely, then switching from the
nails to the fingetips, much like a tabla player would do. Or pressing
with one hand to change the pitch while tapping with the other.

The Wavedrum uses a drum skin.  It behaves like a microphone so it can
generate feedbacks on stage.  The skin is 'read' and processed to
generate sounds. Hence from light finger brushing to drum stick hitting,
there will be some response. The modeling technology comes from
Standford University and was licensed by Yamaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHd6b6d4c9A

The Wavedrum is not new.  There is seemingly a competition product made
by Roland.  The Wavedrum is not MIDI.  It has its own sounds.  There
are a lot of videos out there about it, even one by some guy called
Carl Palmer.