[Ardour-Users] Analog synths (was: Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 167, Issue 13)

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Dec 24 17:00:38 PST 2017

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 12:59:58PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> A friend of mine is a musician of that class, unfortunately I'm not
> that good. He's playing piano as well as drums. If you should be unable
> to notice the difference between a good drummer playing virtual drums
> and a real drum set e.g. from the 70s, you are simply missing musically
> skills. This applies to the sound provided by analog synth compared to
> digitally emulated analog synth as well. The more analog an instrument
> is, the easier it's for the musician to interact with the instrument,
> to become one with the instrument.

I don't see how you can meaningfully compare an acoustic instrument that
is so profoundly influenced by playing style like a drum, with a
synthesizer which is essentially a box with a switch, and when you press
the switch it goes "beep" in exactly the same way every time.

You cannot tell the difference between an analogue and a digital synth
even in isolation, never mind in a mix.  There is no way to tell them
apart.

--
Gordonjcp