[Ardour-Users] Analog synths

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Dec 23 12:32:00 PST 2017

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 19:23:49 +0100
David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:31:03 +0100
> > David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The difference is quite easier to note for the player himself, and
> >> next to that, in unplugged live settings.  A "virtual" drum will
> >> use recordings from a real drum.  A recording of a real drum and a
> >> recording of a virtual drum are in their _substance_ the same
> >> thing: a recording of a real drum.
> >
> > Now how can one compare both in an unplugged setting ?
>
> Turn your head around.  Walk.  "live" might have been the wrong
> expression to use for me: I meant "physically present".  Also
> microphones qualify for "unplugged" but I meant without any recording
> or PA equipment.

It makes the definition of 'substance' a bit vague without the
rendering of the substance itself, meaning that the sample will
go through some electricity-driven device that will eventually make the
air vibrate in such a way that we will recognize a drum. This process
is certainly not transparent.  So I would say that yes, somewhere in
theory they're the same, although in practical terms they can have
differences.

This said u-he is working for quite some time on percussion modeling.
Could be interesting to hear the results.  This is not about triggering
samples though.

Cheers.