[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Dec 22 12:14:55 PST 2017

Gordonjcp <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> writes:

>> > That's not to my taste.  I can't listen to that seasicky
>> > kick-drum-pumping-pad stuff.
>> >

>> I suggest you start by listening to some Emerson, Lake, and Palmer,
>> Yes,
>> Walter Carlos, Jan Hammer, and Trumvirat.
>>

> Are they doing anything that couldn't be done with a digital synth?
>
> We don't need analogue synths any more.  They were a shitty solution
> to a problem we no longer have.  It's better to do it all digitally.

Except that it is rarely "done" digitally.  Most of the "digital"
instruments are actually sampled real instruments.  Apparently the
physical limitations and compromises entering into physical instrument
construction lead, after instrument builders have done their best, to
results that appeal to the listener.

While a lot of graphics are done purely on computer these days,
paintings are still executed manually.  Digital is king in
_reproduction_.

--
David Kastrup