[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Dec 22 06:48:16 PST 2017

On 12/22/2017 03:02 PM, Gordonjcp wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:37:33AM -0500, Al Thompson wrote:
>> On 12/17/2017 05:38 PM, Gordonjcp wrote:
>>> I've never really understood the obsession with analogue synths.

Did you ever play one?

I recently had the opportunity to play with some and I can attest
they're addictive. What felt like 15 mins of fun patching was actually 2
hours and I missed the last metro..

>>> They're so lifeless and static-sounding,

My newbie patching most certainly was like that, particularly since I
lost track of time myself. Probably just as lifeless and boring like
listening to someone who's just learning to play the guitar.

>> Well, that is certainly one claim I've never heard made about analog synths.
>>

> Well, how would you describe them?  They're boring.  They all make the
> same sad little out-of-tune farting noises.

maybe start here: https://youtu.be/kkMHprDW8PU?t=39000s

I'm willing to bet that you can listen to this for at least 20min
without being bored :)

Cheers!
robin