[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Dec 17 14:38:11 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 04:28:24PM -0600, Brent Busby wrote:
> Gordonjcp <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> writes:
>
> > I have never heard such horseshit in my life.
> >
> > There's nothing magic about it.  It's a circuit, it either works or it
> > doesn't.  Whether the opamps are SMD or through-hole does not affect the
> > sound.  Using modern metal film resistors instead of old-fashioned
> > carbon comp does not affect the sound.
> >
> > No-one can tell the difference between the modern DSP-based Roland
> > Boutique reproductions of their 1980s synths and the originals in a mix,
> > and very few can tell them apart even in isolation in a proper blind
> > test.
>
> Ok, that was harsh.  I disagree.

You're not seriously telling me you can hear any sort of difference
between all the near-identical ripoffs of terrible 1970s VCOs that
people are currently punting as "boutique synth modules", are you?

I've never really understood the obsession with analogue synths.
They're so lifeless and static-sounding, and they never stay in tune.
There's a reason why people stopped making them, you can do better
digitally and it'll actually work the same way when you come back to it
tomorrow instead of wandering off into some weird alternate tuning
because it's half a degree warmer in the studio.

--
Gordonjcp