[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Dec 17 13:35:31 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 03:23:22PM -0600, Brent Busby wrote:

> Now we're trying to make analog synthesizers again, and we want them to
> sound like the ones we had in the 70's and 80's.  We just don't know how
> to build circuits with problems like that anymore.  It's a lost art.

I have never heard such horseshit in my life.

There's nothing magic about it.  It's a circuit, it either works or it
doesn't.  Whether the opamps are SMD or through-hole does not affect the
sound.  Using modern metal film resistors instead of old-fashioned
carbon comp does not affect the sound.

No-one can tell the difference between the modern DSP-based Roland
Boutique reproductions of their 1980s synths and the originals in a mix,
and very few can tell them apart even in isolation in a proper blind
test.

--
Gordonjcp