[Ardour-Users] Experience Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 20 23:19:04 PDT 2017

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 00:48:38 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>Latency and reliability is dominated by your system's USB chipset and
>system-setup not the device itself.

Yesno, the device is important, too.

>Personally I very much prefer a PreSounus 1818VSL which is in
>the same price-range.

Before I bought the Focusrite, I bought a PreSounus 1818VSL, the only
reason to return it, was an incompatibility with iOS, apart from this I
was as satisfied with the Presonus, as I'm with the Focusrite. However,
the Focusrite allows lower latency than the Presonus and there's also
no way to control the routing of the Presonus. AFAIK the Focusrite
does store monitor routing set up with Windows or MacOS, but the
Presonus doesn't. I couldn't test it with the Focusrite, just with the
Presonus, because I temporarily had a Windows install, but it was to
old for the Focusrite driver, just the Presonus driver could be
installed.

I neither can confirm nor deny that the potentiometers hold the level
less good than any other potentiometer, since I usually only use the
outputs. When testing the inputs of the Focusrite of the second
generation I didn't notice an audible difference.