[Ardour-Users] Removing hum from track

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 30 00:20:37 PDT 2017

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 02:50:45 -0400, Al Thompson wrote:
>It's not a fix-all, and it certainly won't work in every situation, but
>I'd certainly try it first in an attempt to maintain low end and
>fidelity as much as possible, before resorting to steep notch filters,
>with their phase weirdness and ringing.

Hi,

the OP could try this, but I wouldn't.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 08:50:53 +0200, Gunter Königsmann wrote:
>To me this looks like not the cables picking up hum but the audio
>interface adding the same hum to every single channel.

Then the hum would be more or less equal, but you probably at least want
to use a parametric EQ and fader to mix the sound, so I still doubt
that Al's hint would be usable and assuming the hum should be
modulated, IOW variate, then the hum might be less equal than we assume.

Since we usually anyway use a parametric EQ for mixing, I still would
start with the EQ and depending on the kind of hum add a noise gate for
silent parts.

Btw. usually hum is e.g. from recording guitar amps, not caused by
cables. Hum from the recording gear sometimes happens, too. However, if
you are just using a PCI audio card, you could have bad luck with
digital noise, in this case another slot as well as the used cables
could make a difference. If the audio interface should be the culprit,
then another question arises. Is the noise really recoded? It could be
that the tracks are free from hum, IOW the hum might be added by the
output channels.

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Access to all language versions of Wikipedia was blocked in Turkey on
29 April 2017." -