[Ardour-Users] Removing hum from track

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Apr 26 22:05:05 PDT 2017

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:01:36 -0400, Sg.tla wrote:
>I've been tracking audio for several years now but never got beyond
>the basics of noise removal filters.

PS: There's nothing wrong with not becoming an expert of noise removal,
since it's better to become an expert in avoiding noise in the first
place ;). I don't know what a modern "noise removal filter" is able to
do, but in the old days, in the worst possible scenario, removing
noise was done by combinations of gear. I would always start with
the simplest approach, using a noise gate for silent parts (there are
"smart" hardware noise gates available, unfortunately I don't know what
Linux software provides in this domain) and as already mentioned by my
previous mail, using parametric EQs to reduce hum in important
recordings.