[Ardour-Users] Wiggling the sidebar: crackling noise

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Sep 17 05:51:35 PDT 2016

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 07:06:00 +0200
Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de> wrote:

> On startup Ardour always asks how big buffer sizes to use. Is the
> problem solved if this value is increased? That might then hint that
> there es enough CPU power available, but not fast enough to fill the
> audio buffer in time. Normally real-time kernels (if your system is
> using one and ardour has sufficient rights to request to be served in
> real time. If ardour hasn't been given these rights it will warn
> about this on startup) aren't bad in determining which things
> shouldn't cannot be given too much CPU power to in the current
> situation. But if CPU power, memory bandwith or something similar is
> scarce this might not be possible in all cases.

Is there a way to have diagnosis about this from Ardour's side ?  At
the system level 'free' reports 6GB out of 15GB free, 8GB in use.  Does
this mean that the memory access/workability was checked at boot ? I
would tend to think so, but not certain.

Ardour (Mixbus 32C) does not complain about memory or anything else at
startup so I presume it is satisfied.  I have yet to see an option in
the configuration about buffer sizes - if there is such I will try to
put other values.

Tschüß.