[Ardour-Users] Saving disk space

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 1 11:34:58 PDT 2016

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 19:46:31 +0200, Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller wrote:
>As pointed out earlier it might be required when importing a file with
>mismatching sample rate

What is a mismatching sample rate, if you import the audio file as is?
AFAIK Ardour could use different formats at the same time, MP3 etc. and
seemingly different wav bit formats. Different sample rates need to be
converted when importing?

Another advantage of floating point is, that you don't need to learn
which DAW is able to handle what formats at the same time. Simply use
32 bit floating point 48 KHz wav for everything during production, what
ever DAW you are using. The only time when I'm not doing this is, if a
tablet PC DAW forces me to use a format.

>> Only when recording floating point is useful, at least if you want
>> to continue mixing including the recorded tracks.
>
>Depends were you record (or bounce) from. [snip]
>
>When you record from inside your 32 bit float environment [snip]
>bouncing internally [snip]

That's what I was talking about.

The reason why I'm against mixing different formats is confusion that
could cause accidents.

Regards,
Ralf