[Ardour-Users] Saving disk space

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 1 10:10:34 PDT 2016

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 18:47:01 +0200, Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller wrote:
>On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 18:24:38 +0200
>Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>> >That is a great idea!
>>
>> FWIW I'm not arguing against this option.
>>
>> >Increasing the bit-depth of existing audio files on disk has no
>> >benefit.
>>
>> As long as you keep this in mind...
>>
>> On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 12:17:38 +0200, Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller wrote:
>> >Only exception where the audio file bit depth might matter a little
>> >again is when you plan to do internal bounces. But then you could
>> >still switch to a higher bit depth after the imports have been
>> >done.
>>
>> ...and don't forget to use floating point by accident, when it is
>> useful. To avoid such an accident, it is secure to use floating point
>> for everything, even if importing an existing integer audio file
>> doesn't benefit from transforming it to floating point.
>
>After putting some more thoughts into it I tend to propose an
>all-in-one-trouble-free option in "Session Properties -> Media" for
>that. Ardour would decide itself it is safe to keep the bit depth or if
>float format should be used. This would completely overwrite the
>"Sample Format" option in that tab and import as float even if Sample
>Format is not set to float, if required.

Actually a "keep bit depth" option when importing, is all that is
required. Importing integer audio files and converting them to floating
point never is needed, assuming that a DAW is able to use different
audio file formats at the same time. Only when recording floating point
is useful, at least if you want to continue mixing including the
recorded tracks.

Regards,
Ralf