[Ardour-Users] Saving disk space

Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller axel-mueller-74 at web.de
Sat Oct 1 03:58:14 PDT 2016

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 12:43:43 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 12:27:16 +0200, Gunter Königsmann wrote:
> >That would mean that ardour is in fact quite intelligent and that
> >saving 16-bit-data as 16 bit in most places does in fact do nothing
> >but saving disk space.
>
> True, but since saving disk space nowadays isn't an issue,...

I disagree. I tend to record long sessions with quite a few tracks.
For example the last session was well over 15 GB at 24 bit setting. And
especially when moving a few sessions to the laptop with only a small
SSD in it, disk space starts to matter to me again.

> you shouldn't risk to run into an issue that at least wastes time.

What issues? I never ran into a single issue when using lower bit depth
than 32 bit float.