[Ardour-Users] Saving disk space

Alf Haakon Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Sat Oct 1 00:44:29 PDT 2016

Hi list,

Currently on Ubuntu Studio 14.04, running Ardour 4.7.0.

Ardour keeps audio files as specified in the session/properties/media
tab, where I can choose between a number of formats.

Now, regardless of the format I'm telling Ardour to use, if I record a
file with my handheld recorder to a stereo WAV-file and imports it to a
session, Ardour will split the file in two (left and right), each the
same size as the original stereo file - thus requiring double the space
on my disk.

Why are mono files 'bigger than' stereo files, and is there a way to
make Ardour work with stereo files instead?

Best,
Al F