[Ardour-Users] Opening of plugins while playback is delayed

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jan 26 12:28:57 PST 2016

On Tue, January 26, 2016 2:04 pm, Tim wrote:

> Radeon  HD 2600.

That is a really old card, I don't know if the current radeon driver even
supports it, and if it does it might be in non-DRM mode only.  It could be
useful to update to an HD5450, which seems to be the least expensive card
fully supported by the current radeon driver.

> I realized when adding a lv2 plugin and opening it while the transport
> rolls, the plugin opens a few seconds delayed. Mostly a xrun occurs.

I don't know if there is a way to avoid a xrun when adding a plugin while
the transport is rolling.  Is the plugin being added to a track which is
playing, or to a new empty track, or a muted track?
If audio is playing and you add a plugin then the processing chain has to
be interrupted, the processing graph recalculated, then the audio started
up again with the new plugin filled with presumably silent frames.

Is your complaint just that there is a glitch in the audio when adding a
plugin when the transport is rolling?  I would have to wait for one of the
developers to comment, but that is the behavior I would expect, it is like
pulling out patch cables and changing connections in an analog setup, it
seems natural you are going to get some dropouts if you do that while the
audio is running.

--
Chris Caudle