[Ardour-Users] Summing up to mono ?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:58:37 PST 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 18:02:22 +0000
> Leo Francisco <lists at boywithwings.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I monitor in mono sometimes to check the mono compatibility and also
> > the balance. Often the level of the vocals, kick and reverbs will be
> > more obviously too loud or too quiet in mono.
> >
> > The single speaker Thomas is referring to is often this one:
> > https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/mixcubeactives.htm
>
> I saw a Behringer C50A "as-new" on Amazon warehouse deals, so I thought
> that saving $100 would be worthwhile.  As Joe mentioned I would be not
> so sure about the mono switch in Ardour, simply because it still goes
> physically through two speakers.

The same output signal going to two speakers is still mono, which is what
the mono switch does. You can most certainly hear the difference when you
hit the mono switch. This is also very helpful in MixBus which has a visual
indicator for out of phase stereo signals -- you can see as well as hear
problems in the mono mix if the stereo signals have phase problems.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it, it