[Ardour-Users] Export hangs after script executing

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 25 06:38:14 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:43 AM, JoergSorge <technik at srb.fm> wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
> > That's the first time in my live that I heard somebody uses one machine
> > to export a segment and at the same time, the same machine is on air.
>
> Of course, also we are don't do so and recommend this. From the
> practice, I had a lot to mention on this....
>
> But what I mainly will say, I don't know anybody, that expects, that
> audio software a is no more working so long audio software b is exporting.

You won't find any other software that can do the kind of "export" that
JACK makes possible.

As for Ardour combined with the ALSA backend, you're just wrong. On
Windows, using the ASIO driver, almost all DAWs require exclusive access to
the audio interface, and so you cannot use any other software while the DAW
is running. Some DAWs allow you to specify that they only use specific
channels of the device, leaving others free for other software. That can be
complex too, and doesn't help if you have only a stereo audio interface.