[Ardour-Users] New analysis window when doing an export

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Feb 22 09:25:01 PST 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:39:56 +0100, Gunter Königsmann wrote:
>I think they are great tools and used wisely they will help you a lot.

I'm not against tools, but a lot of it doesn't matter for many usages.
I'm even not against Ardour's export tool, perhaps Robin's wording is
better than mine:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:47:15 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
>If your target medium is CD and the target audience is the Metal or
>Techno scene, then no. You can ignore the loudness report numbers or
>only take them as hint.

Anyway, regarding the other extreme of visualisation, graphs that show
raising and decreases of parametric EQ _settings_ are completely
useless. What you need are just the numbers of the (virtual)
potentiometers. If you take a look at some proprietary EQs, you'll
notice, that you even can't edit them in a sane way anymore.
There are a lot of parametric EQs you only can edit in a graphical EQ
way, by moving the graphs of the settings, but to change Q, you need to
read a manual and have to do a lot of steps by the workflow.

There are eightfold parametric EQs, that if you want to use them as
intended by their GUIs, are de facto bizarre graphical EQs. It's time
consuming to use them as real parametric EQs. Actually you need not an
eightfold parametric EQ with a graph, you need a real fourfold EQ. As
long as the GUI just provides a graph and the EQ can be used in a sane
way, it doesn't matter, but there are EQs that can't be used in a sane
way anymore.

For good reasons I chose the EQ as an example, since this is the most
important tool. A tool that can be used that smart, that much of
dynamic effects/compression becomes unneeded.

Let alone words such as "optimisation" or "normailisation" that usually
are misunderstood as something that has to be done in a strange way.

The phenomenon described by Joern didn't happen when engineers used
most of the times British style mixing consoles, it happened when people
started to mix with all that virtual, visualising software tools.

Regards,
Ralf