[Ardour-Users] New analysis window when doing an export

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Feb 22 01:24:52 PST 2016

On 02/22/2016 01:16 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:23:32 +0100
> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
>> As for LUFS, LU, don't forget to follow the link from the forum
>> thread: http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/loudness-explained/  In
>> short it's average loudness and dynamic range.
>
> I see.  I have tried another export, reducing the master volume by
> -5.7dB and the resulting LUFS was -18.5 (original was -17.2).  If the
> 'broadcast standard' to be targeted is -23 or -24, then there's
> something totally wrong with this mix since the master bus volume will
> have to be so small.  So while I see the theory, it"s a totally
> different matter in practice.
>
> Is this -23, -24 LUFS a sensible target to aim for ?

if you produce program material for european radio or tv, it's mandatory.
if not, you can ignore it. but: everything that ever does land on radio
or tv in europe will be played back at -23 dB LUFS. so if you mix
dynamically, you can exploit all that extra headroom.

if you master like metallica or the red hot ear-splitting chili peppers,
you will end up just as loud as everyone else, but everyone will now
hear how crappy it sounds :-D

targetting -23 basically makes sure you're on the winning side of the
loudness war. and customers will appreciate the fact that they don't
have to jump to the volume knob, put their speakers back to the shelf
and apologize to the neighbors each time they switch from wagner to a
late johnny cash recording (for those who don't know rick rubin's
scorched earth approach to mixing: yes, that lone singer/songwriter
blows an army of valkyries straight out of the room, and not in a nice way).

if you'd like to learn more about loudness normalisation, google for
"EBU-R 128" (the corresponding standard) and "Florian Camerer" (the guy
who spearheaded its adoption in europe), you will find some excellent
presentations and learning material.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net