[Ardour-Users] New analysis window when doing an export

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Feb 21 10:23:32 PST 2016

On 02/21/2016 06:45 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The new window that pops-up after doing an export contains quite a lot
>> of information... about which I do not have much idea at the moment.
>> Can I simply start by asking what the following numbers mean and how
>> they would characterize the exported wav file ? - thanks.
>>
>> Integrated loudness: -17.2 LUFS
>> Loudness range: 7.1 LU
>> Normalization gain: -3.80 dB
>>
> https://community.ardour.org/node/13365#comment-42393

The normalization gain is the gain factor applied to normalize the
signal level during export.

If you've configured normalization target to be 0dBFS (default) it means
your master peaked at +3.8dBFS  and the export was attenuated so that
the audio does not clip.

As for LUFS, LU, don't forget to follow the link from the forum thread:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/loudness-explained/  In short it's
average loudness and dynamic range.

Cheers!
robin