[Ardour-Users] New analysis window when doing an export

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Feb 27 07:00:42 PST 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:47:15 +0100
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 02/22/2016 01:16 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
>> I see.  I have tried another export, reducing the master volume by
>> -5.7dB and the resulting LUFS was -18.5 (original was -17.2).

> Note that with "normalize" enabled you won't modify the average.
> In this case it made a slight difference because the master bus was
> clipped (negative normalization gain), in your first export.

Style is something, numbers are something else.  It is interesting to
have the feedback of numbers.

Regarding this, at -18.5 LUFS, is this too loud regarding the
broadcast standard of -23, -24 LUFS ?  I assume that going to -23 means
decreasing the total volume output on the master bus, is that right ?

Or is it achieved by staying at approx the same volume and turning on
compression (I use u-he Presswerk on Linux) to a certain maximum ?

Also, regarding normalization, the stereo track in Ardour 4.7 did not
register a single 'red' event on the master bus meter.  This said, the
two little floating LEDs on the default master bus meter go up floating
to about +10dB.  Is this linked in any way to the process of
normalization ?

Actually, if you don't mind, what is normalization and why is it
enabled by default in Ardour ?  Since it is, I presume it's a Good
Thing...

Cheers.