[Ardour-Users] Could not create session

John Aten welcome.to.eye.o.rama at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:05:29 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu Studio packages onto my working install of Ubuntu 16.04, following the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu . I installed all the packages, except for ubuntustudio-desktop, and followed the instructions there as closely as possible. Configuration basically consisted of adding my user to the audio and video groups, because, as I read it, none of the other changes are required or available for 16.04. The only thing that didn't work was the attempt to install linux-lowlatency-pae, giving the error that the package was not found. After this I restarted, and can get audio in and out through my interface (Scarlett focusrite) . I was able to record audio through the interface into audacity, and can get output from audacity, lmms, firefox and other programs.

The trouble starts when I try to setup a new session in Ardour4: I click 'New Session,' enter a session name and do not modify 'advanced options' in any way. The Audio/MIDI setup screen comes up, and I switch the input and output devices to the scarlet. The hiccup seems to come in the selection of 'Audio system;' here I can choose ALSA or JACK, with ALSA being already selected. If I leave ALSA selected and hit start, the session comes right up just fine, but isn't connected with JACK. If I select JACK and hit 'start', a screen pops up that says: "JACK is already running. Ardour will connect to it and use the existing settings." I click "connect to JACK." At this point, a warning comes up about my system having a limited maximum amount of locked memory. (I was under the impression that this was preferable for stability, and I don't think this is the problem.) I click ok; JACK seems to be connected. I hit okay to start the session, and I get a 'Loading error', which says: "Could not create session in... <home directory>"

It happens this way even if I have stopped jack through QjackCtl; Ardour claims it is running and connects to it.

I did some googling on this, as well as searching the Ubuntu studio forums, and I can find no problem description that seems to be exactly the same.

I am not attempting to use the low latency kernel. I am pretty new at this, and I am not sure how to go about it yet; I wanted to get audio and midi working before looking into that.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this conundrum!