[Ardour-Users] Plugins for mastering: suggestions ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Sep 8 08:08:33 PDT 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:09:28 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>I should mention an interesting approach used by a colleague of mine:
>he always uses a multiband compression tool with his favourite setup
>in the master bus (something like the Waves L3), and mixes "into"
>that. This could be a handy approach for quick results. You have the
>fatness of a multiband compressed sound, and you have immediate
>control over what each of your mixing decisions does in the sum
>compressor.
>
>Not the approach I personally favour, but less of a lottery game than
>mixing without and then cranking the multiband afterwards.

To use a compressor for the stereo sum during production sometimes
works and sometimes it becomes an annoying construction area. IMO it's
ok to do it, not only to get quick results, it could become part of
the arrangement. OTOH it's also nice to completely mix without
compression, since it might be that no compression is needed even for
the master.