[Ardour-Users] Plugins for mastering: suggestions ?

mn0 fukked_up at gmx.net
Tue Sep 8 07:03:32 PDT 2015

Agreed, but that's for pros, maybe?
A good reason for mastering is efficiency / lack of time.
Using Jamin, it takes about 3 minutes to make a mix sound kinda as
"good" as the average song out there. If you're not producing
professional output for pressing but maybe just
rehearsal/concert/whatever mixdowns, like me, the goal is to have it as
loud and balanced as the average song out there. So people can listen to
it without having to turn up the volume and don't complain that
everything sounds "thin".

My workflow for recording, mixing and mastering rehearsals is like:
-> new ardour project from preset with plugins and channels already set.
-> roughly adjust track volumes on console
-> record
-> adjust track volumes
-> create ranges
-> insert to Jamin, only multiband compressor and limiter (preset...)
-> push input volume until it limits too bad
-> go down 3-4db
-> export ranges
-> convert to consumer friendly format, tag, rename...

You get a result, that is just as loud and "fat" as people expect.
Working with stereo master sum is a lot more easy than to adjust the
dynamics for every track, which would have to be done again for every
session.

I'd still recommend Jamin for getting started with mastering even though
it's not updated for a long time. It simply sounds good and is used
intuitively.

/mn0