[Ardour-Users] Plugins for mastering: suggestions ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Sep 8 06:12:32 PDT 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:26:52 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote about
mastering.

I agree that most should be done by the individual tracks and
that compressing the stereo sum could be tricky.

That's why I mentioned "a little bit compression" done with the
multiband compressor jamin.

You also mentioned that the EQ usually does the trick.

I'm just unsatisfied that you didn't mention that many EQs are
completely unusable crap for audio production usage.

That's why I mentioned that I would do all the EQ work by the
individual tracks using Fon's parametric EQ only. I forgot to mention
that one instance of a four band parametric EQ most likely is enough
for a track.

There's nothing wrong with your hints, but I would like to summarize
what's important instead of writing a workshop.

Most of the mix already is done for the individual tracks, resp.
subgroups.
Most is done by the EQ, sometimes everything is done by EQ.

For the stereo sum best practise is to use as less multiband
compression as possible. I don't use limiters, but indeed a limiter is
often used.

When dither is needed and what kind of dither is needed is another
issue.

Regards,
Ralf