[Ardour-Users] Using jamin

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Sep 6 23:48:45 PDT 2015

On Mon, September 7, 2015 11:58 am, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com
> <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 21:34:29 -0400
>> "jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The jamin controller plugin does not seem to do much.
>>
>> Incidentally it is not impossible to get rid of the jamin
>> controller plugin that I have added to the master bus.  Each time it is
>> right-clicked upon and 'delete' is selected, Ardour 4.2.0 crashes.
>> When Ardour comes back, the controller is still there.  How to get rid
>> of it ?
>
> Personally, I wouldn't use Jamin, it's old and I don't think it's even
> actively maintained anymore.

You think wrong.

If the man want's to use jamin and has a question about it then...

> You can get better results using a mixed
> down stereo track and using dedicated plugins for
> multiband-compression, EQ, etc.

That depends on the result that he is trying to achieve. Jamin can also be
used as an FX box and is not "just" a mastering tool.

Back to the original question.  There is no way to get a shorter
processing graph with jamin as an external app. It might be possible if it
was an LV2 plugin because Ardour will bypass jack i/o ports for the
connections.  With an external application there is always going to be
some additional lag depending on your jack settings. If you want to have
minimal delay most people run jack at 64 frames/period.

Jamin will work with lower buffer sizes but stability also depends on
other factors such as CPU speed, audio driver/hardware, etc...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd