[Ardour-Users] plan to update FLOSS tutorial to version 4

Bruno Ruviaro bruviaro at scu.edu
Thu Sep 3 14:11:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Carlos sanchiavedraZ <csanchezgs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> If I had some time to contribute in a not so distant future, I'd try to
> add some content but also will like to make translations. I see there's
> content on how to contribute.

​Hi Carlos,

Any help now or in the future is always most welcome! The info on how to
contribute is here:
http://brunoruviaro.github.io/ardour4-tutorial/how-to-contribute-0/​
 -
​ any questions, just shoot me an e-mail.​

> I can't remember if you mentioned at LAC2015 how to include translations
> (or how easily it is) with that ecosystem (github+jekyll) you were starting
> to use or improving. I guess you could follow same instructions but you'll
> end up with a mixed index and menu items; or you could fork it but it
> should be accessible from this tutorial, maybe in a chapter for
> translations to make room for other languages as well.
>
> Is there any procedure/first steps on adding translations?

​I think your last suggestion makes sense: I can add a chapter to the
English tutorial called "Translations" that links to any and all available
translations.​ A pointer to it can be included on the landing page.

Anyone willing to create and maintain a translation can just fork the
tutorial from github and send me the link of the translated tutorial; then
I'll add the link to the Translations page.

Essentially, your first steps would be

1) Log in to your github account and fork the tutorial from there:
https://github.com/brunoruviaro/ardour4-tutorial - Give your fork a name
that indicates the language. For example if I did a Portuguese translation
the link should end up being something like
github.com/myusername/ardour4-tutorial-pt (I suggest we use the same letter
codes that wikipedia uses: en for english, es for spanish, pt for
portuguese, etc.)

2) Create a branch called "gh-pages", and make it the default branch (this
is in github "settings"). That's the branch you should be always working
on, as that's where github builds the website automatically from. The
website will be automatically published on a URL like
myusername.github.io/ardour4-tutorial-pt

2) From your fork, and always in the gh-pages branch, go inside the
"_posts" folder, select a file, and you can start editing and writing the
translation right there from the browser (if you like this method).

3) If you plan to redo all screenshots with Ardour in your language, simply
save all images inside "images" folder. It will be easier if you keep the
exact file names I gave in English, and simple overwrite my screenshots
with yours. If you are not redoing screenshots, you don't need to do
anything.

4) The main titles and general stuff can be edit in the _config.yml file.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

All best, and thanks for your help!

​Bruno​

>>> https://www.booktype.pro/ for free (engine successor to