[Ardour-Users] Ardour Versions

Arve Barsnes arve.barsnes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 02:42:26 PDT 2015

On 25 October 2015 at 02:24, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:
> I've been looking at Ardour since versions at least as far back
> as 0.9 beta, and I still have projects around from Ardour 2 & 3.
> I just installed version 4.4.0 from a *.run file on Fedora.  Is
> there anything I should watch out for regarding data version and
> executable version compatibility?  Would it be recommended for me
> to use version 4.4.0 on everything, or try to stick with using
> the program version which created the data in the first place.

In my experience, "upgrading" the session from ardour 2 to 3 works
just fine, but going the other way probably does not work. As far as I
know, 3 and 4 use the same format, so they could even be
interchangable, but in general, you can move your sessions to newer
versions just fine, but not the other way.