[Ardour-Users] Getting signals from Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 20 15:44:28 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:

> > 1) read up on the Mackie Control specs to understand how the (2-way)
> > communication works in theory.
>
> Are there any other control protocols currently supported?  I know in the
> past Euphonix had promoted a different protocol which was transported over
> Ethernet.  I think the marketing name for it in their products was
> EuControl.  I remember reading an AES preprint on it years ago, but I
> don't know if it was ever used by other manufacturers.  Seems like I only
> find Aavid controllers now when I search for EuCon, so I guess now.

the original EuCon protocol was described in a white paper. It is extremely
complex, and seems designed around the interesting but ultimately extremely
non-real-world idea of a surface reporting its layout and capabilities to
the DAW and then the DAW deciding what to do with with them. Super cool,
except that I have yet to see a surface that reconfigured itself. I am not
clear on whether Avid have modified the protocol since they acquired
Euphonix.

> I was just checking the SmartAV controller, which supports several
> different DAW over Ethernet, and it seems to use Mackie protocol or
> similar variants as MIDI over IP, but when used with Pyramix uses a
> protocol referred to as OASIS.
> "Oasis (Open Audio System Integration Solution) is an open source remote
> control protocol, designed to bring the entire DAW application out onto a
> remote interface."

Frankly, Mackie Control can accomplish this. Note that MIDI-over-IP is
distinct from Mackie Control. Ardour already supports Mackie devices that
use ipMIDI (such as the SSL Nucleus) with dedicated ipMIDI support (no need
for bridging software).

> It just seems that MCP is a little convoluted, and there should be a
> better way using modern protocols to control a DAW.  Is OSC the best bet
> for that?

MCP is very far from convoluted. In general, its a nice piece of work. It
has one major limitation: no more than 8 faders/strips (+ 1 optional master
fader) per MIDI port. This is pretty nasty.