[Ardour-Users] Ardour 4.4 released

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Oct 17 14:36:40 PDT 2015

On 10/17/2015 10:21 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 07:48:25 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for this update.
>
> One question before I install it:
>
>> Linux distributions built with the latest version of the GNU C
>> Compiler (gcc5) have recently started to become available. There are
>> no issues for most users but if you use plugins written in the C++
>> language then they must be compiled with the same version of gcc used
>> to build Ardour (or any other plugin host). Robin Gareus has already
>> done the required work to create gcc5-built versions of Ardour, but
>> for now they are available only on the nightly site
>> <http://nightly.ardour.org/>. A future release will see them
>> available via the official release site. If you do not use these
>> plugins, then any version of Ardour will work on your Linux system,
>> regardless of which version of gcc it was built with.
>
> I use Linux Mint 17 x86_64 which has gcc 4.8.

You're good then. The releases from http://ardour.org/download are done
with gcc4.

The installer does check and prints a warning and asks for confirmation
if the gcc-abi of the ardour binary does not match the system.

> I have only compiled the
> Calf and guitarix plug-ins, the rest is from the distro.  I have no
> idea which ones could have been made using C++.  What could be the
> result for existing projects using plugins if I install 4.4 ?

The usual result on a gcc-abi mismatch is that the plugin(s) won't load
(but in some rare cases it may also cause crashes: eg. eq10q).
In most cases (guitarix, ingen, amsynth,..) this also only affects the
plugin GUI (not the plugin itself).

If it really renders a session unloadable you can run
   Ardour4 --disable-plugins
and remove the plugins (or simply get a different version).

The Note on http://nightly.ardour.org/  has a list of currently known
plugins that use C++11 or depend on libs which use C++11 (mainly
libglibmm provided by the system vs libglibmm that comes with Ardour).

Known affected plugins: abgate, ams-lv2, amsynth, beatslash,
deteriorate, eq10q, guitarix, ingen, midimsg, newtonator, triceratops,
vocproc.

best,
robin