[Ardour-Users] Ardour 4.4 released

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Oct 16 13:01:07 PDT 2015

On 10/16/2015 07:26 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 10/16/2015 01:58 PM, Joe Hartley wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 07:48:25 -0400
>> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The Ardour project is pleased to announce the release of 4.4.
>>> Developers
>>>
>>> Robin Gareus, Paul Davis, Nick Mainsbridge, Ben Loftis, Len Ovens, Tim
>>> Mayberry, John Emmas, Colin Fletcher, Damien Zammit, Guy Sherman, André
>>> Nusser, Mathias Buhr, Todd Naugle
>>
>> Thanks to you all for continuing to improve on a fantastic DAW.
>
> A "Me, too" post seems fully justified :-D
>
> Thanks guys for an amazing piece of work, fixes a few pet peeves of mine
> and will make me an even happier Ardour user in the future.

satisfied customers! That's great and very encouraging.

> BTW, I'm putting myself through the ordeal of doing a project with
> Ardour4 on Windows to prepare for a teaching job I mentioned a while
> back, where I need Ardour's cross-platform capabilities.
>
> For now, the user experience has been surprisingly smooth, if we
> disregard the OS :)
> JACK installed and ran out of the box (although the plethora of driver
> options took a while to figure out: the ASIO one did it).

What's was reason for using JACK on windows? What other JACK apps do you
use?  If the answer is "none", why not use Ardour's native portauio/ASIO
backend?

> Ardour hums along nicely, I've been putting the system through insane
> loads *and* installing Windows updates in the background. No plugins
> yet, though, but we'll get there. Are there any other Windows plugins
> available other than Robin's (which I've downloaded already)?

There's a whole universe of VSTs, you know..

but if I recall correctly the criteria was:
  * free-software (source available)
  * cross-platform: OSX, Win, Linux
right?

KXStudio/DPF may have some.

http://tytel.org/helm/ is a very cool synth, but different formats (VST,
AU, LV2) on different platforms (no session compat).

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/store-mixbus-plugins.html are great but
not free. Did you contact them for a "workshop license"?  They're all
LV2 (portable sessions).

swh's LADSPAs can be compiled for windows. Interested? An OS X build is
already available from:
http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/swh-plugins-osx-universal-0.4.15+gita12ba80d.zip

> I don't see myself getting a full windows build environment unless I
> absolutely have to (feel like I'm spending to much time there already).

Don't. If you must cross-compile on GNU/Linux.

> For now, thanks to everyone to take the pains to support windows, it
> allows me to use Ardour for teaching!

I'll take this opportunity to point to http://ardour.org/windows.html

Cheers!
robin