[Ardour-Users] Using a 'clean' bus to compare

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Nov 14 04:22:58 PST 2015

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:59:11 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> What you want are likely post-fader aux. I haven't used Ardour for a
> long time, but this is how it works for all analog studio mixing
> consoles.

A lot, if not most of the mixing terminology is yet for me unknown.  As
I start to acknowledge terms I'll be able to hone searches.

> I used the startpage search engine with the serach terms
>  ardour pre fader post fader send
> and the first hit linkes to
> http://manual.ardour.org/signal-routing/aux-sends/:
>
> "Pre-fader and Post-fader Aux Sends

Thanks, I will try.

> I guess you should read at least one Ardour manual and/or get some
> theoretically knowledge about mixing in general. IMO, if possible,
> learning by doing with analog gear is the best way, since the virtual
> digital domain offers too many possible setups that make no sense. If
> you don't have the opportunity to e.g. make a practicum in an
> recording studio or to maintain a small home studio with a mixing
> console and some external gear, I strongly recommend to get
> theoretical knowledge before experimenting.
> Learning by doing works good with static designed external studio
> gear, but leads to nothing, if you start learning by doing with
> flexible designed software. For learning by doing you need either a
> static design that limits to common work-flows or basic knowledge.

This could very well be true.  I have gathered some links about mixing
although for many of them it is akin to reverse engineering, eg. trying
to discover what the basis are from the tips and hints.  Tips and hints
which can be subjective at that, as for some people anything goes in
the studio and by that I suppose they mean creativity using known
procedures and setups.

If you know, and if anyone knows about a good concise book on the basis
of mixing I'm interested.  I do not want the tales of that mixing guy
legend or that other guy.  Only concise mixing basis using tools that
are common in all basic setups, hardware or digital.  A web site or two
would also be OK.

Cheers.