[Ardour-Users] Ardour Versions

Lukas Pirl ardour at lukas-pirl.de
Sun Nov 1 16:46:30 PST 2015

Hi Kevin,

On 10/25/2015 10:42 PM, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On 25 October 2015 at 02:24, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:
>> I've been looking at Ardour since versions at least as far back
>> as 0.9 beta, and I still have projects around from Ardour 2 & 3.
>> I just installed version 4.4.0 from a *.run file on Fedora.  Is
>> there anything I should watch out for regarding data version and
>> executable version compatibility?  Would it be recommended for me
>> to use version 4.4.0 on everything, or try to stick with using
>> the program version which created the data in the first place.
>
> In my experience, "upgrading" the session from ardour 2 to 3 works
> just fine, but going the other way probably does not work. As far as I
> know, 3 and 4 use the same format, so they could even be
> interchangable, but in general, you can move your sessions to newer
> versions just fine, but not the other way.

I also experienced that A2 sessions are readable with A3+ versions.

However, due to some incompatible concepts (IMHO, I am not a dev),
I saw that some information was missing in the A3+ session.

For this reason, I wrote a small helper script that transforms some
information from A2 projects to A3+ projects:
https://github.com/lpirl/esc23

It was created relatively specific for my use case but may be you want
to give it a shot. It can:
   * add a A3+-style monitor bus (now also possible via GUI)
   * transform A2 edit groups to A3+ groups
   * re-assign A2 playlists to their tracks in A3+

Please refer to the README and the tool's help page for further
information. If all that is too obscure, fell free to contact me.

Cheers,

Lukas