[Ardour-Users] ardour 4 // slow graphical interface

Alex Lopez aliksandr at gmail.com
Mon May 4 02:41:22 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm using Ardour 4.0.0 with a Radeon Mobility X1600 using radeon open
source driver in Xorg 1.12.4, running kernel 3.12.19avl2-pae (AVLinux 6.04).

If I use radeon with EXA (so I have radeon.modeset=1, using KMS), Ardour
4 graphics are slow and I notice a high (50%) processor use by xorg
process. If I use radeon.modeset=0, xorg seems to load the driver radeon
but using the older acceleration architecture I believe

[    20.482] (==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
[    20.482] (II) Loading sub module "xaa"
[    20.482] (II) LoadModule: "xaa"
[    20.482] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libxaa.so
[    20.501] (II) Module xaa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    20.501]    compiled for 1.12.4, module version = 1.2.1
[    20.501]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 12.1

and actually the Ardour process uses more CPU (and xorg process, less),
but the graphics and overall user experience is far smoother.

This is strange since I believed radeon driver should work better using
EXA which enables render acceleration (although I don't really
understand what this implies).

Well I suspect that I could be getting still far better performance if
I'm able to correctly configure my driver (or xorg) or use proprietary
drivers (but I don't know I there is still support for my -now- old
card). Will I get better performance using the nightly build with
ARDOUR_IMAGE_SURFACE=1? I think I'm going to try it out and report here.

Cheers,
Alex