[Ardour-Users] Basic set of cross-platform plugins?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Jun 14 04:04:55 PDT 2015

On 06/13/2015 11:30 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 05/05/2015 10:02 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> Hi *!
>
> Hi Joern,
>
>> For a class I'll be teaching in fall, I'm looking for a basic set of
>> plugins (at least a four-band parametric EQ with graphical UI, a
>> compressor, a high-pass, a non-feedback delay, and a reverb) with the
>> following properties:
>>
>> * cross-platform with downloadable binary builds for Linux, Windows, and
>> OSX
>> * redistributable open-source code
>> * download free of charge or willing to negotiate a nominal flat rate
>> * beginner-friendly UI
>
> gotta start somewhere:
>
> https://github.com/x42/fil4.lv2/releases/latest
>
> meet the requirements for the EQ, it also includes a High-pass.

yeah, thanks, i've been tracking your plugins meta-git for a while and
used the fil4 and the trusty loudness meters in a recent production (a
flute orchestra piece that went to the pressing plant two weeks ago).

> For Linux it's also already packaged in Debian, OpenSuse, KXStudio and
> probably some other distros as part the the x42-plugins pack.
>
>> * bug-free
>
> it is, until someone reports one :)

yeah, i should have - there was some refresh funkiness leading to the
disapperance of the window content (cured by minimizing and maximizing
again, I've seen it sporadically on a nouveau-driven nvidia card). will
look at it again and report if it appears again.

> As for the the "non-feedback delay", are you looking for a simple
> delayline (without any musical properties, just a basic delay with
> sample accuracy)?

yes, just a compensating delay, samples is fine (gets my students to do
some thinking), but from a usability POV a sample-rate dependent scale
in meters and ms would be nice as well.

> Do you need a separate High-pass? With configurable order db/oct?

Not necessarily separate (unless fil4 bands consume CPU power even if
switched off, which I assume they don't), but something a bit steeper
would be handy sometimes, up to 18 or 24 db/oct.
The same for the low-pass, although that usecase is a lot more rare...

Your stuff is excellent, but how does it solve the cross-platform
usecase? Are you or is anyone else providing windows and macosx builds?
Or are you considering to revive bundled plugins for ardour?

Best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net